Thursday, July 29, 2010

Living like Jesus

My husband and I had huge discussions tonight.
Here is the issue - sometimes I feel like he lives in one extreme. He hates money, he HATES spending money, he hates charging for services, the only thing he likes about having money is that we can give it away. Which some people would say is admirable.
I think there needs to be a balance. He feels as if he is in the job God called him to, so he can't hate his salary! I am worried that by appearing to be on one extreme you can really turn people off when his only real goal is to love others.
Anyway - it ended well, but it was a good discussion.
The question is how can we live like Jesus and do ANYTHING for ourselves besides eating or praying or resting. If our time on earth is short and our main goal is to win souls to Christ, are we too caught up in bettering our own lives??? I know i am.

5 comments:

  1. Anything more than basic needs is giving and doing for ourselves. A home instead of apartment, fresh produce instead of canned, a feather pillow instead of no pillow at all..........even these things mean that I am caught up in bettering my own life......you have definitely given me MUCH food for thought. Yes, our lives here are short lived and I need to get busy working harder on mine right now. Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I am a bit materialistic here, but God blesses us. It is up to us to use those blessing to glorify Him. I don't think that means to live as hermits meeting only our basic needs, but if money or other materialistic things get in our way of seeing and glorifying God, then they have to go. I don't think there is anything wrong in taking pleasure in blessing from God, as long as you acknowledge that it is from God and you glorify Him with those blessings in return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda,
    Glad I gave you alot to think about. However, I don't think a home or fresh produce is bettering yourself. A home instead of an apartment is a better financial decision which I think is God-honoring, so is eating fresh produce because that has more vitamins and less preservatives which is better for your health, and your body is a temple. I think we should question the more extravagant things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Beth! I just think many of us spend a lot of time and energy focusing on making a better life for ourselves. So I was just trying to keep it in perspective, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that is awesome since too often we get swept up in 'I want this or that.' You're reminding me, and all of us to keep it in perspective. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete